Citizenship in Canda
Also Check Immigration Application
If you’re travelling by air, you need to pass a health check before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of will not be allowed to fly to Canada.
When you arrive in Canada we’ll assess your health before you leave the port of entry. You must isolate for 14 days even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory.
Only people who provide essential services and truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods are exempt from the isolation requirements.
We’re now inviting some applicants to attend a video oath ceremony (citizenship ceremony). Please wait for us to contact you.
To keep everyone safe, the following citizenship events are cancelled until further notice:
- in-person citizenship ceremonies
- citizenship tests and retests
- hearings (including videoconference hearings)
- citizenship events in our temporary offices (itinerant service trips)
Check the information letter or email we sent you about the events being cancelled.
- We’ll send you a new date and time as soon as possible.
- If you gave us your email address in your application, we’ll contact you by email.
- To avoid missing our emails, check your junk or spam folder.
- Look for messages from email addresses ending in “@cic.gc.ca.”
- If you didn’t provide an email address
- we’ll send the cancellation letter by mail or we’ll call you
- check your mailbox or voicemail messages often to see if you got it
Processing your citizenship application
Due to the , we
- are prioritizing Canadians who are trying to return Canada
- can’t provide accurate processing times
- check your application status online, or
- if you can’t check your status online, contact us using our Web form
Submitting your application documents
If your documents are missing due to (for example, police certificates, passports, medical exam results, medical opinion forms):
- we won’t close or refuse any applications in progress
- we’ll automatically give you an extra 90 days to send us the documents from the deadline in the request letter
- This applies even if the letter says you only have 30 or 90 days.
- we’ll keep extending the deadline by 90 days until you can get the documents
- you don’t have to contact us to get any of these extensions
- once you’re able to, send us the missing documents as soon as possible to avoid further delays
This extension applies to all citizenship applications, including
- Canadian citizenship for
- minors (under 18)
- Canadian Armed Forces members
- adopted child from abroad
- resuming Canadian citizenship
- giving up Canadian citizenship (renunciation)
- applying for a Canadian citizenship certificate (proof of citizenship)
- applying for a search of citizenship records
New citizenship applications
We’re still accepting new citizenship applications.
Time you’ve lived in Canada (physical presence)
Extra days spent abroad due to will not count as days in Canada. You must still meet the physical presence requirement for your citizenship application.
If you’re a permanent resident
If you’re travelling or planning to travel, find out what you need to re-enter Canada.
You can use an expired permanent resident (PR) card to
- apply for Canadian citizenship
- bring to your citizenship test and ceremony